Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 and MORE

Today is “that” day. The day 7 years ago that some folks I knew in the Pentagon lost their lives as a plane crashed into the building. The day that 2 airplanes flew into 2 of the tallest buildings in New York and killed thousands of people. The day where some brave people helped take down a plane that potentially could have killed more. The day that I got to work at Quantico Marine Corps Base and the base was put on lockdown. We were watching the TV to keep up with the up to the minute information. I was trying to get through to my family on the cell phone to let them know I was OK. We were all told to watch the windows for more “planes”.

It took a letter signed by the general of the division I was working for, to have all civilians let on and off the base. I had to get one every day for the rest of the week. I’m sure he didn’t like having to sign all those letters everyday. This morning as I write this, I’m sitting in a staff meeting feeling that the “pause for a moment of silence” was not enough. Today the new memorial at the Pentagon will be unveiled and Clayton and I will stop by some time this week to see it.

7 years later it’s much better news! This week we signed the paperwork for the new house!!! We are having it built in a community development out in Gainseville, VA. It’s about 30 miles West of where we are now. So now we are choosing colors and flooring and siding and all that stuff before they break ground. We are hoping to move in December. I will be adding pictures as we get them. My boss Cathy lives about 3 blocks from where we are building and will be taking pictures throughout the build process.

Let me tell you, for those of you who have bought a house you know how much stress buying a house is. And it’s SCAREY!!!!! I’ve never bought more than a car and now I’m buying a HOUSE! I have, at the age of 47, grown into a little bit more of an adult…Don’t worry tho’ I still haven’t totally grown up…

The latest development health wise is that 2 ½ weeks ago I was helping Clayton put up signs for the Yard Sale we were having and in the dark I stepped into a ditch drain and fractured the right side of my right foot! I’ve been in a walking cast for the past 2 weeks and will continue to do so for 2 more. The Dr. said that it was minor and that it should heal without problems. You have to hear this story.

So 2 hours before we go out to hang up signs, I get a call from my friend Marion, who the day before, had fallen while carrying her grandchild and broke something on each leg/foot and messed up one of her knees. I said that I would come visit her in the hospital over that weekend. Little did I know…So after my accident happened, Clayton asked if I wanted to go to the hospital. I said no let’s just see how my foot is because although it hurt I could limp around so I figured that it wasn’t broken.

Well I laid in bed all night and at 5 a.m. (about the time I knew he planned on getting up and getting ready for the sale) I said to Clayton, “Alright take me to the hospital ER drop me off and go back to the yard sale, and I’ll wait for you to come get me when the help we are expecting arrives” So we did…first of all the helper never showed up…However, at about 6:30 a.m. I was done and I said to the nurse…”You know there is a lady in this hospital that called me 2 hours before this happened and told me she was here and had her own broken bones. So I’m going to go up and visit”! The Nurse was quite helpful…she even helped me up there! So at 6:30 in the morning, I was knocking on her hospital room saying “Wake up lady, it’s your fault this happened you jinxed me”! And from her hospital bed she was laughing her butt off!!!! We chatted until about 10:30 that morning until some friends of mine came by and picked me up and took me home….WOW!!!!

Ever onward…I go back to the Cancer Institute in October for my first follow up after having been told that the Cancer was gone. There will of course be tests and such, but I’m sure all will be fine.

I want to thank everyone again who offered up prayers, help with rides, food, cards and everything else during that time. Clayton and I will never forget the love and support that we got during that time and continue to get occasionally from folks who are just “checking in”. We love you all and give thanks to Higher Power everyday for all of you!

I’m very busy with work now that I’m back full time but only 3 days a week in the office with 2 days of telecommuting. Boy are they glad I’m back the workload has got me maxed out and the meeting is winding down and I now have to go upstairs to my office and get back to work...l8r


kellyanddanielle said...

i love you. i'm soooo excited about your house. you will love it. sorry about your foot. i can't wait to see pics of the house. you rock. give clayton loves from us.

FamOlson said...

Hi son! my comments are back! Now your news on your house and what a great day this is. Also, Bryan called and wants to come home even with the 'conditions'. Oh life is so interesting. I wonder what I am supposed to learn now!
Way to go on the house, enjoy the chances to choose. You don't get them often! Love you mucho!