Monday, February 25, 2008

Day to Day Part 1...The First Week

Welcome all! This first writing of my blog; week one, of my announcement of having Cancer -- Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and the battle that is starting.

On Tuesday February 19th, 2008 my Doctors at NIH (National Institutes of Health) told me that the biopsies on what was thought to be a fractured rib, then a possible infection, was really Non-Hodgin's Lymphoma. I managed about 1 minute and a half to let it all sink in before I blubbered like a big baby...yea I know it's a natural response but I'm not given to blubbering. Anyway in between crying jags Dr. Leonokis tried to give me all the information and instantly wanted to take some more tests 2 immediately and one later so they could "stage" it. Staging is where you find out the true severity and then treat it. The final Staging test, a P.E.T. exam was to take place in Mid March since that particular department was quite busy...I didn't want to wait that long and bless his heart Dr. Leonokis took the reigns found a cancellation and worked everything out to get the tests done. They admitted me that day and I was there until Thursday the 21st.

On Thursday February 21st, 2008 I started Chemotherapy. The staging results haven't come back as of today (Feb. 25th) and I've now been to the hospital everyday since then having a bag on a battery operated pump, connected to a PICC line (a catheter into the arm that goes up into the Large subclavian vein to give better administration of the chemo) changed and so far so good. Today will be the final bag change and it will take 3-4 hours since they will be giving me bags of IV hydrotherapy today. This helps with the dehydration caused by the chemo and gets be geared up for part 2 of this round...the self injected shots...and I think for now I will end here and find out how the shots work before I write more.

One last thing to those of you reading this...I want to thank you for the immensley wonderful outpouring of support, generosity and love that has come my way. I can't tell you how much it means to me. You are all the best friends that anyone could ask for. You have taken the time to write e-mails, bring food, take me to the hospital, etc...all of this has been an enormous help to Clayton who is the best care-giver anyone could ask for...My love for him is infinate and I can't tell you how blessed and lucky I am that the universe saw fit to put us together.

Feel free to post your comments here and I will try, as the process goes on, to keep this updated. It will all of course depend on how I feel on a day to day basis...

I have to tell you, for me, it takes a lot to write things down here. As I write it, it's cathartic, then I read it and the fear and emotion that spring up bring tears to my eyes and I feel panic and it takes time to just write this paragraph. I am trying so hard to be strong, I don't know what to do some days, and being tired doesn't help. If it wasn't for you all and Clayton and the babies (Xena and B'Elana -- See their pictures elsewhere on this site.) I don't know what I would do. I really am scared and I love that I have all the healing energy I could ask for from you, clayton, and the babies.

More later...
Scott

8 comments:

tiyta said...

Scott - you know how much I admire your courage to even post what you have. It is opening a window for the rest of us to just get a small glimpse of what you are going through. Know that we all are pulling for you and pray that the down times are few, but call on us if you think it will help. That's what we're here for. I'll get to the grape leaves this weekend. :) Luv ya!!
Marion

Ondriawfd said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I wish there was more we could do for you. You are in our prayers. I'll be checking your blog for updates and I hope to hear good news.:) Stay strong!

Anonymous said...

Scott-Though we wonder why, I know in my heart that Big Daddy God up there doesn't give us anything we can't handle. Though some folks say "One day at a time" I'm a firm believer that on occasions such as this-we need to focus on One NANO-second at a time! You are in my heart ;o) PJ the Clown

Anonymous said...

Scott,

You will come out of this even stronger and healthier than you went into it. You are a STRONG person in ALL ways.

You were there for me thru rough times I went thru and I don't think I ever really said, "Thank You!" You taught me how to step back and laugh...Do you remember bringing those comedy tapes to class?

Scott, I don't know what I can do but if there is ANYTHING at all that you can think of besides my praying which I will do daily for you, let me know!!! I'll put you on my church's prayer list and let my internet friends know so that your web of support will be ever growing.

:) God Bless and keep you!---Sharon Lynn

PS If I had your address, i'd be making and sending you cards.

Anonymous said...

My love, you know where I stand so I need not post them here. I love you immensely and it breaks my heart that you have to go though this. But, as others have said, you'll come out of this stronger than ever. Here for you 24/7 (literally, and you know I mean that). xoxo, Candi

kree8vkim said...

Scott my dear
i am sorry to hear this news. you do not deserve to have to go through this at all :-(
I know how hard some of it can be, from a care-givers point of view, and I am here for BOTH you and Clayton, for whatever needs you may have.
Please do not hesitate to call Nano or me for anything...we do not live far away, ok?
Love and prayers for you are being sent from Kim and the Gowland clan ( and my mom and dad too!)

DramaQueen said...

Scott - you and Clayton are in my prayers! You are amazing and if possible will be more so when you are done! NOW you pray because if I drive you to therapy - THAT will take some strengh!

Love u both!

Anonymous said...

Hei my Diva, my mentor - I just want to let you how much I admire you and how I appreciate that I had meet a such worderful "unique person" in my life! I know people some how wait for these days to let their heart speak out... But, I think as soon it had done, it is never too late!!! I know you can handle that, the High Power are with you, always!!! We "Cris and Eder" are praying for you!!! We love you