Thursday, April 24, 2008

IN THE HOSPITAL...OUT OF THE HOSPITAL...BACK IN...

So 6 days after I entered the hospital from my last entry I came home. I was home for 2 whole days and went right back in for another 4 days...yesterday I came back home...so let me elaborate.

After I got home (from the first 6 day stay) I went right to bed I had developed an infection called c-diff in my intestinal tract so they put me on an antibiotic and since I was no longer nutripenic it was OK to go home...

It's 2 days later (Sunday) and 3 a.m. I wake up screaming in pain and actually put up with it (with the help of about 6 percoset and a bunch of Ibuprofen) all day. The pain meds I took only just barely took the edge off. On at least three separate occassions Clayton said I should call the Doctor...ya, ya, ya,...blah...blah...blah...Then as I got to thinking about it since I had just had a 6 day stint and most of the problem had to do with my blood and some of the symptoms seemed like a blood clot I got a little nervous and thought that maybe he was right and I called NIH since it was sunday I didn't expect much....but NOOOOOOOOOO...they said "you better get here as soon as you can." Aww crap...so (after clayton was smart enough to pack me an overnight bag) we piled in the car and we're off.

They put me in a bed send for the Doctor and give me some dilautid, IV Push. Holy Crap Batman that stuff worked fast!!! I don't remember getting to the X-Ray department I sorta remember coming back because we had to stop in the hall way on the way back to my room, I threw up. Clayton said that the nurse was running for anything I could use before I lost it over the carpeting.

They admitted me and apparently clayton and the nurse did some good nurse bad nurse gag (no I don't remember it) but apperantly he was the bad nurse and I told the other nurse that he was a big teddy bear...lol...anyway...after he left and I started to get some sense back the pain started coming back....so I got some more dilautid...boo ya!!!! Out like a light and as I'm coming down from that batch once again I decide to hurl...this time I was ready but man did I have a hangover!!! Haven't had one in about 12 years since I stopped drinking and let me tell you what I was not pretty!!!

So I told the Dr's. No MAS!!!! Give me something else!!! So they decided that I should be visited by the Pain and Pallative Care department. Before that they gave me something called Toradal (IV Push) it was like a super Ibuprofen...it worked pretty well but I could only have it once every 12 hours. Then the P and P folks came and gave me something called Neurontin...not a bad drug...helped me sleep 10 hours but at the same time it took the pain away a little to. So on Wed I got my PICC line in and my next round of Chemo started and sent me home with my new drugs...and that brings me to the end of my story.

I'm feeling better now and went to the acupuncturist today and then on to NIH to visit the P&P
clinic where they wanted to do an acupunture treatment and told them I already had one for the day...I didn't think that they would be that on the ball! So we rescheduled for next week and then I got to visit with the support therapist which was actually quite nice to just blab on and on for an hour...and not once did he say "...and how does that make you feel?"

Maybe now I can keep up for a while and talk about some other things going on...for right now I'm just going to say...Good Night!

4 comments:

Katy said...

Scott, you crack me up!! I'm glad that you are doing better.

Susan said...

Scott I love yours and Clayton's blog. You work so well together, and I'm glad you have each other. I'm glad you're doing better.

Susan(Katy's mom)

Kristy said...

Scott, I am so glad that you found my blog and that in turn I get to check up on you. I am glad that you are feeling better. I had no idea what you fighting this battle. In reading your blog it has made me realize how much my Dad must have gone through and I didn't even know. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us. I love you Scott and you are always in my prayers. Love, Kristy

Anonymous said...

Dear Scott and Clayton,
You guys have touched my heart with your story of love and compassion.
Keeping you in my heart and prayers.
Maybe someday we can meet,
Love, Bob in Arlington VA